Saturday, May 1, 2010

Motorcycle/Birthday/faux suede technique

How manly is this card and so cute!  I actually got the Motorcycle, which is new in the summer mini, because my Son-in-law, my daughter (not my oldest daughter who is married to the son-in-law), and her boyfriend love to ride motorcycles.  My son-in-law actually will purchase a motorcycle and re-build it and then sell it.  Talent!!!  Anyway they were the inspiration in getting this stamp.  I thought it would make a great Father's Day Card or a Birthday card.  And, after this one, I am certain it will.  By the way, the sketch for this card came from the stamping 411 sketch challenge this week.  I love thier sketches.

Also in doing this challenge, does the black look like suede?  I actually did the faux suede technique and loved the look of it on this card.  At the end of this post I am going to put a close up so you can see the look of the suede better.  To get the suede look, you will need to take a piece of card stock, in my case the basic black.  You will then need to break down the fibers in the cardstock.  You can do this by rubbing the cardstock on the edge of a table or by using a bone folder. I also turn it quite a few times while rubbing on the edge of the table and on both sides.  It helps to break down the fibers better.  If you check out this link, you will see what I am talking about as far as the bone folder.  But with the piece I used which is bigger, I did rub on the edge of the table first and then I used the bone folder to reinforce as I was seperating the paper.  Once you do break down the fibers in the cardstock is very easy to seperate the cardstock.

Hope you can see the suede look in this close up picture.  It is really neat.  One day, I will do my own tutorial.

Recipe for the card:

Stamp sets:  Motorcycle, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Cardstock: Basic Grey, Brushed Silver (what I stamped the motorcycle and the happy birthday on), Ruby Red, Basic Black
Basic Black classic ink
Red hemp twine, silver stretch ribbon

Thanks for looking!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

my son's birthday is tomorrow and he owbed a harley this is a perfect card for him! LOL!!!

Hi, I'm Lee Conrey! said...

What a great card....love the color combo!! He's going to love it.

Selene Kempton said...

Fantastic job with the sketch! I really love this masculine card!

Patti Chesky said...

Love the faux suede. This card is amazing!!!

Thanks for playing along with the Stamping 411.

Sharon Carr said...

I love the look of the faux suede on your card. What a great compliment to the motorcycle image!

Kerin said...

This is a great masculine card! I love the faux suede technique you've done here. Thanks for sharing :)

Sandra Korten said...

Great card. Love the faux suede on the card.
Sandra :-)

Connie Babbert said...

Wonderful card, Jonia...love that background technique with that motorcycle image!

Unknown said...

Great card and love the technique!! Thanks for playing along!!